syncing two pcs

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Sep 13 08:36:00 EDT 2008

>>I just use rsync on both machines, and copy the file from the office
>>machine to the laptop if it's the last one I updated. If I updated the
>>laptop last, I just rsync in the opposite direction, and copy files from
>>the laptop to the office machine. No muss, no fuss. Available on pretty
>>much any distro.
>>

>FWIW, I tried syncing between my Windows and Linux partitions by putting the
>file on Windows and symlinking from Linux.  I got filesystem complications,
>such as end-of-line.  Now if I really want to use the file under Windows
>(usually it is for reference in updating Quicken) I copy it across.
>
>Doug.

Important distinction --- sequential vs concurrent updating of two instances

These are different problems and it's important to keep that in mind.
When the problem is syncing between two machines where GnuCash is used
first on one and then the other, the usual sorts of synchronization
processes will work. But in the case where transactions/other changes
are being entered on both machines this is not the case, a much more
difficult problem. Many of the proposed solutions would work MOST of the
time but not ALL of the time. Practical experience with "merging"
software based on examples where inconsistent/apparently duplicate
changes are unlikely gives a false idea of the difficulties. In
bookkeeping/accounting the requirement is 100% correct and a solution of
the general case difficult/impossible. In practice might work out
because "work rules" prevent the existence of
inconsistent/duplicate/overlap transactions (one person is entering only
one sort of transaction, the other only other sorts, there never are
entries coming from both that cannot be merged in a unique way).

Michael

Michael