Check Register

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Sep 14 19:48:49 EDT 2008

At Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:13:00 -0400 stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com wrote:

> Raquel wrote:
>
> >I have a friend for whom I've set up Debian Etch and GnuCash v.2.0.6.
> >She wants ONLY to have a "single entry" checkbook register without
> >setting up accounts, etc.  I've looked and have not found a way for
> >her to accomplish that.  Is there a way she have just a plain old
> >check register using GnuCash?
> >

> Find out (in more detail) what she REALLY wants. Possibly being
> intimidated by "set up accounts". GnuCash is "autoposting" so you aren't
> making journal entries and then posting these by hand.
>
> In THIS case, she would be making entires only in the checking account.
> Just that in each case she would be indicating;
>
> a) For each deposit --- what sort of source? (Break down into separate
> income accounts IF she wants to -- would give her a sense of "where is
> my money coming from?" Normally would be at least two sources even if
> all deposits just have one source (unless it's not an interest bearing
> checking account).
>
> b) For each "withdrawal" -- what sort of expense (Break down into
> separate expense accounts IF she wants to -- "where does my money go?".
> Notice that there WILL (usually) be items here that are not checks
> written --- orders for new checks, various bank fees, etc.

ACH/ATM transactions.  It is almost impossible to get a checking
account these days withOUT a VISA/MasterCard debit/ATM card.

> Michael

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk