GnuCash hangs on reading data

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Wed Sep 17 17:31:56 EDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Lee Hauser wrote:
> I'm running GC 2.2.5 on Mac OS X Leopard and suddenly am unable to
> open my data file. There are no error message of any sort...GnuCash
> starts up, loads all its parts, then simply hangs when the splash
> screen reports "loading data."
>
> How can I tell GnuCash to create a fresh data file? I have very little
> information in GnuCash at the moment, since I'm just learning it and
> wouldn't mind starting from scratch. Even if I try to remove the
> existing data file from the data folder, GnuCash still halts.

there are known causes of this behaviour, best recalled being "saving a custom
report without a custom name"

in linux you run
gnucash --nofile

--
I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as
the greatest of dangers to be feared.  To preserve our independence, we must