Invoice numbering

Etibusisweni Farm stocksi at realnet.co.sz
Mon Sep 22 04:57:33 EDT 2008

When Maf talks about "the new bill creation area" there is potential for
confusion.  Under New Bill for Vendors, there are two possible data entry
fields for ID data:  one, labelled Invoice ID, automatically generates a
number if left blank; the other, labelled Billing ID, remains empty unless
data is entered.

It would seem to me that the Billing ID field is intended for the number
appearing on the Vendor's invoice.  The Invoice ID corresponds to what, in
paper book keeping, might be called a Purchase Note number, which would be
generated by the recipient of the goods or services.  Both numbers appear on
the summary under View Vendor's Bills, but only the Invoice ID on the
default Vendor Report.

Apart from that, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference which field you
use if you want to generate your own reference numbers and, yes, it would be
more convenient to have separate counters for the Invoice ID for Vendors and
Customers to allow for an uninterrupted sequence of Customer invoice numbers
if none is entered.

Ian

Message: 5