Print Checks

Dick dlehopper-info at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 20:44:48 EDT 2008

   It seems I have bills coming constantly all month so I usually wait
   until I have 3 to print (one page). It's been working well for me this
   way. That's why I was asking for a way to do it the same with GnuCash.
   THANKS for the responses!
   Dick,
   David Reiser wrote:

     With a laser printer, I don't think stopping in the middle can be
     done. The ink jets I've seen also tend to want to find the physical
     top of a new page if you send them a new job. They'll either eject
     the old one when data stops for some length of time, or eject it to
     start a new page when a new job starts.
     I use the same check stock as you do. I just tear off each check as
     it is printed and send the smaller page through the printer again
     for the next check. The check definition only prints on one check of
     the page, so you just tell it to print the top check, and the
     printer acts as if it has a full sheet, and it works. You can send
     the already printed check through with the rest of the page as long
     as you remember to set the Top, Middle, Bottom setting before
     printing. I'm not much of a fan of sending an already printed check
     through a laser printer again. And the bottom check does tend to
     look a little dingy by its third trip through the print path
     (collecting too much fuser?). Also, my laser printer tends to be
     more aggressive in its attempts to force the tail end of the page
     against the side stop (to keep the paper 'straight'). With the
     cheapest Quicken wallet checks I could find, that printer behavior
     ends up misaligning 1/3 to 1/2 of the 3rd check-on-the-sheet (after
     the top two are torn off). With Deluxe checks, I think I had about 3
     misfeeds in 300 pages of checks. With the cheap check stock, I just
     print to my Canon ink jet and don't have problems.
     It would be nice to be able to  select and print multiple checks in
     one print job. I'm down to printing only 1 or 2 checks a month and
     my wife hand writes about 5 a month. So I'm less anxious about that
     patch getting written than I used to be.
     Dave