Wrong Account Assumed When Importing Transactions

Ed P paq237 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 04:41:19 EDT 2008

Hi Mike

I had some luck - thanks for your suggestions. Results posted for the
archives...

> 1) Temporarily rename this target account to something else. Try importing
> the file and see what happens when it doesn't have the targeted account any
> more.
This doesn't work. GnuCash tracks the account even after a rename.

> 2) Create an account in parallel to this unfortunate target account. Delete
> the target account, and when GnuCash asks you where to put the transactions
> that were in it, say this new account. NOW try bringing in the transaction
> file and see if you don't get asked "where to"
>   Still no luck, get back to us.
This worked perfectly.

It's so infrequent that I delete accounts that I had forgotten about
the "Where do you want me to dump all your transactions" feature. This
was key.

Again - many thanks!

--
Ed P.