Package dependencies

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 12:35:01 EDT 2008

The fink lists would be a better place for this question, but I think
the general answer is "dependencies of dependencies". Sure, if you
hand built each of the libraries upon which gnucash is based, you
could noticeably trim the packages you install. But fink tends to
build each of those packages in the most generally usable way it can
(as in: include all the capabilities of each library that are readily
ported to the mac, not just the pieces any specific client app uses).

There have been some discussions of late about trimming back notable
offenders, like doxygen. A generic build of doxygen builds the docs,
which requires every app it serves to be present and that drags in a
huge list. And a recent release of fink's swig (not needed for gnucash
built in fink) claimed to need gcc43 (an extra 6 hours of compiling
alone). That one has been fixed, but certainly there are other
opportunities to streamline package definitions. Unfortunately, there
are only a few dozen active maintainers of fink handling the 7000+
packages. Care to volunteer some time?

You are right that there are a bunch of things built that won't get
used. But I'm certainly not going to build a customized library just
so I don't take up a few more megabytes of disk space (even when a few
megabytes is multiplied by a hundred libraries).

Dave