Help Organizing Account Tree

Robert Jones rhpjones at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:16:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm new to accounting and have have just taken over as treasurer for my
soccer club.  I am interested in suggestion on how best to setup accounts to
track the following transactions.  We have just one checking account from
which all money flows.

Primary sources of Income are:
  1.  team registrations
  2.  uniform money

Primary Expenses are:
  Referee fees (separate check for each team), Travel League registration
fee, Uniforms, Tournament fees, Coaching Licenses, soccer training, office
supplies etc.

I would like to be able to track how much money was received from each team
and possible from each family on each team for (registrations, uniforms,
etc.) and how much money was paid to each team for referees, tournaments,
training, etc).

My initial thought was to have the following:

Income:
    Registrations:
        Team 1
            Family 1
            Family 2
        Team 2
            Family 1
            Family 2

    Uniforms:
        Team 1
            Family 1
            Family 2
        Team 2
            Family 1
            Family 2

Expense:
    Referee Fees
        Team 1
        Team 2

    Tournament Fees
        Team 1
        Team 2

I was wondering if there was a simpler way to setup the accounts that would
not duplicate the teams as much.

Thanks,

Rob