Help Organizing Account Tree

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonet.ca
Thu Sep 25 17:34:34 EDT 2008

Robert Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to accounting and have have just taken over as treasurer for my
> soccer club.  I am interested in suggestion on how best to setup accounts to
> track the following transactions.  We have just one checking account from
> which all money flows.
>
> Primary sources of Income are:
>   1.  team registrations
>   2.  uniform money
>
> Primary Expenses are:
>   Referee fees (separate check for each team), Travel League registration
> fee, Uniforms, Tournament fees, Coaching Licenses, soccer training, office
> supplies etc.
>
> I would like to be able to track how much money was received from each team
> and possible from each family on each team for (registrations, uniforms,
> etc.) and how much money was paid to each team for referees, tournaments,
> training, etc).
>
> My initial thought was to have the following:
>
> Income:
>     Registrations:
>         Team 1
>             Family 1
>             Family 2
>         Team 2
>             Family 1
>             Family 2
>
>     Uniforms:
>         Team 1
>             Family 1
>             Family 2
>         Team 2
>             Family 1
>             Family 2
>
> Expense:
>     Referee Fees
>         Team 1
>         Team 2
>
>     Tournament Fees
>         Team 1
>         Team 2
>
> I was wondering if there was a simpler way to setup the accounts that would
> not duplicate the teams as much.

That''s way too complicated.  Separate accounts for registration and for
uniforms (are they paid for, or is this a refundable deposit?) make sense.

Your expense categories should separate referee fees from tournament
registration from league registration, etc., so that part looks OK.

The way to deal with the families is to either put a separate line for
each family/player in a given income entry (you'll probably want to set
up in intermediate account to allow for batch deposits), or to record
them separately in a spreadsheet or database and aggregate the fees.  If
you do the former, you can run a Transaction Report and sort on the Memo
field, then Export the result and copy it into a spreadsheet.
Similarly, use the Memo field to identify Team expenses, unless you have
only a few teams.

IANAA, and this is only a quick reaction, but I think you need to opt,
wherever possible, for simplicity.

Good luck with this

Cam