Editing exchange rate for a transaction

colbec colbec at start.ca
Sat Sep 27 07:09:17 EDT 2008

I'm using 2.2.7 compiled on OpenSUSE 11, all seems to be fine apart from
multiple currency behaviour and I am wondering what I am missing. I have CAD
set as the basic currency and on top of that I have a number of income and
expense accounts in USD. In my reports the CAD items are marked with $ and
the USD marked as USD. OK so far except that all amounts in reports in USD
are not translated to CAD.

I can set and update the 'price' of CAD/USD in the Prices menu option,
however when I go to an existing transaction in USD, right click and select
"Edit exchange rate" nothing happens. Evidently the system knows I am in the
process of editing the entry since I get a warning to discard or save when
moving on to something else. When selecting edit exchange rate from the menu
I get the same behaviour for that transaction. When clicking on an empty
transaction I get a message to 'expand' the entry before editing, but adding
a new entry does not at any time give me an option to change the XR.

When printing a report that gives me an option to print the XR I get 1 CAD =
1 USD. I've a feeling that when setting up the account chart I made a
selection which may be overriding my desired XR behaviour but I cannot find
anything relevant in the preferences or account settings to modify.

Any help to get over this hurdle would be appreciated.

Colin Beckingham