Tax-related checkbox

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:06:01 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM, J. Alex Aycinena
<alex.aycinena at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM, J. Alex Aycinena <
> alex.aycinena at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> >

> >> snip

> not

> >> Just a thought - if you're going to do your taxes using data you keep
> >> in gnucash, you may find the new report to be very useful (but only if
> >> you've already assigned the proper tax categories to accounts and
> >> entered your year's accounting transactions accordingly) even if you
> >> don't do any TXF exporting to a tax package. If so, it is very easy to
> >> get it (doesn't take any time to speak of) and use it in your current
> >> version of gnucash and cannot in any way harm your data. If you're
> >> interested and need any help, just let me know.
> >
> > I just installed the new report; looks very good. I will use it for my
> tax
> > work, as you suggest, and will feed back comments as appropriate.
> >
> > /Don
> >

> >> Alex
> >

> I look forward to your comments. Alex

This new report is clearly a big improvement over the old one. I'm already
finding it useful for the preparation of my tax return. I have no comments
or criticisms thus far other than it's excellent!

But -- I still think that not greying-out the Tax-related checkbox in the
account-editing dialog is better than what we have now in 2.2.9, which I
think is confusing. To reiterate, retain that checkbox *and* the tooltip
telling users that the full benefit of the report can be had only via
Edit->Tax Options and setting appropriate tax-return categories and that the
checkbox will just get them the default "Tax Report Only -- no TXF export"
category. Or, perhaps better, put that info directly on the dialog, so
there's no chance the user won't be presented with it, as there is with the
tooltip (did you see the message today about ambiguous account names in the
tabs? That's the nth time that's come up -- I think I raised the issue
myself awhile back -- because people don't know the tooltips are there).

/Don