select accounts by name: focus off tab

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Apr 3 14:43:06 EDT 2009

On 02 April 2009 at 11:51, Charles Day said:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Tommy Trussell
> <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I'm running GnuCash 2.2.6 on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid. I discovered quite by
> > accident that I could SOMETIMES select an account by typing the first
> > few letters of the account name, but sometimes not... SO I just did a
> > few tests to figure out why...
[...]
> > For example, to select my account: Assets:Current Assets:Checks Received
> > I can type type "checks" to select it (as long as it is not collapsed
> > under Current Assets or Assets).
[...]

> The "search" functionality you are seeing is built into the GtkTreeView
> control and isn't part of GnuCash.  (And it is actually broken in some
> version of Gtk). It could probably be customized to be even more useful.

I'm running Windows. With an account selected, hitting an alpha key
causes two things to happen:
1. Focus moves to the first account starting with that letter
2. A text-entry box appears, containing the letter I typed.
Further keys have no apparent effect. After a few seconds (5?), the text-
entry box goes away, following which another alpha key will move the
focus as before.

It does not seem possible to select any other than the first entry with a
given initial (e.g. I have "Cash in Hand" a sub-account of "Current
Assets"; "c" selects "Current Assets").

Given this, I'll continue to use the arrow keys - less confusing!