Paycheck Imbalance

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 5 16:50:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:29:07PM -0400, Peter wrote:
> I checked that the salary account is income, and it was marked as an
> income account already, and my transaction looked like what you
> describe.  I tried entering the transaction a couple other ways, but I
> got the same result each time until I decided to ignore the tutorial.
>
> I deleted the split transaction I entered before, and re-entered it from
> within the salary account instead of from within my checking account
> like the tutorial shows.  Also, this time I started with the gross pay
> amount, and after entering all the withholdings from taxes I made the
> remaining amount a deposit into my checking account.  Even though the
> transactions look the same as they did the first time, it does not show
> up as a negative imbalance for some reason.

Interesting. There is no difference (other than a swapping of columns)
between entering the transaction in the income account and the
checking account. So, maybe there is a problem in the tutorial?

Regardless, you should now be able to have the automatic transaction
recall fill that in for you from either account, and it should "just
work".