Extracting useful information for tax returns (David T.)

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:36:43 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:06 AM,  "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ah yes. The Account Summary is meant to give you current balances--hence the lack of starting dates. It's giving you the current balances. Pretty much every other report gives you the option to select start and end dates. I actually use two reports for my taxes: the TXF report, and a second transaction report with the account detail of most of the tax-important accounts. Mostly, I want to be able to show to my accountant the specific transactions for expense accounts.
>
> David

David,

I believe you use the re-written Tax Report (the 'the TXF report' you
refer to above). I re-wrote the report with the intention that it
should provide a complete audit trail of all tax transactions,
sufficient to provide to your accountant (subject, of course, to known
limitations related to capital gains and similar transactions). So I'm
curious about your need to use a second report with account detail for
this purpose. In what way is the Tax Report not sufficient for this
purpose? Can it be improved?

Alex