Extracting useful information for tax returns (David T.)

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 13:54:20 EDT 2009

Alex--

Yes, I am using the new TXF report. I do like this report a lot. For my purposes, I would prefer the TXF report to default to the account summary level, which provides a nice summary for my accountant (who is not using the TXF file, but rather the reports).

For the details, I prefer to focus on those areas where my accountant wants more specificity; that is, the accounts where I have to provide verification. My accountant doesn't need to see transaction level detail for my paycheck tax accounts, since I get a W2 for these. If my numbers match the W2, all is good (and my books have one area of support for their reliability), and my accountant doesn't need to see more.

For my charitable contributions, however, the accountant wants line by line information, just to be sure I'm solid with my numbers.

The TXF detail report includes all the tax-related accounts, which is too much in this circumstance. In addition, the TXF report includes a notes column that I do not want, and cannot seem remove from the options. This column gives me a note field that never appears anywhere else, with technical information about the imported transactions. Thus my custom report.

HTH,
David