Multiple files open in GnuCash at once?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 13 11:09:30 EDT 2009

Axel Essbaum <axelessbaum at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, but when I make any changes to the preferences of either file, it
> affects both files.
>
> Meaning, if in the Swiss business I do Edit->Preferences and change
> the Default Currency to CHF, the default currency for the US business
> is also changed to CHF.  This happens when I change the Default Report
> Currency as well - both files change to the new currency.
>
> Vikas, when you change default currency in Linux, does it only affect
> one file or all files?

There have been discussions about how there are different
types of preferences:

* User preferences (which apply to a user across all data files)
* Data File Preferences (which apply to a user per data file)
* Data File Properties (which apply to the data file across all users)

Unfortunately some preferences are in the incorrect bucket.  In
particular you can only have a single set of Edit -> Preferences.  Those
are shared amongst all data files.