DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACCTS PAGE & REGISTER

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Wed Apr 15 23:45:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:13:16PM -0400, _ wrote:

> *REPLY:  What I'm saying is that I would expect to see the same TOTAL
> balance on the ACCOUNTS PAGE as I see in the register itself for that
> particular PARENT account.  That did not happen, but I must have a
> misunderstanding on the way the parent and child works. But I'm still
> working with it to see if I can get it to do what I want.   Otherwise, I
> will just have to go back to my Excel spreadsheet.  GnuCash does not
> seem to be quite as versatile as I had thought.  I just thought someone
> might have experienced something similar and had a quick answer.
> Future dates also had nothing to do with the problem.  Thanks.*

so you are expecting that on the accounts page, a parent account would
show only it's own balance, and not the accumulated balance of itself
and it's child accounts?  That is not how it behaves. The parent
account balance always shows the parent account and the child accounts
as an accumulated total. So far as I know, there is no way to make it
do otherwise.

However, the behavior you are looking for is available in some of the
reports. Specifically, I believe the Income Statement does
this. I'm not sure of the others.