can I add historic acct balance after acct creation?

Andrew F. andrewf8 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 16 16:35:20 EDT 2009

G'day

I am experimenting with GnuCash to determine whether I wish to use it in an Australian small business environment.

My tests reveal GnuCash is designed so one can input the historic/initial balance of an account only at the time one is creating an account.

Is there some way to get around this constraint?
Perhaps by hacking a file?

If not, then I suggest GnuCash be altered so it is possible to input the historic account balance after it is created.

There are two reasons I wish to do this:
1. Sometimes, when creating a chart of accounts of a new entity I find I need to add or change a few accounts shortly after creating the chart of accounts, therefore I need to alter their initial balances.
2. I have a chart of accounts "template" for which includes common accounts names and numbers. This template is used for the several entities I use. I prefer to enter these common accounts once, then copy the file for each entity, then adding accounts which are unique to each entity. I can only do this if I can alter the initial balance of an account after it is created.

Andrew
andrewf8 at yahoo.com

      The new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7: Faster, Safer, Easier.