can I add historic acct balance after acct creation?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Apr 16 17:20:37 EDT 2009

>My tests reveal GnuCash is designed so one can input the historic/initial balance of an account only at the time one is creating an account.
>
>Is there some way to get around this constraint?
>Perhaps by hacking a file?

I'm not sure what you mean, Andrew.

I'm probably simply not understanding what you are asking. But the order
in which transactions appear is the order of their assigned dates, not
the real time/date order in which they are entered. So lets say you
began using a new chart of accounts for which you had not done the
"initial transaction". Nothing prevents you from doing this later.
Generally that's two split transactions against equity, one for the
credit balance accounts and one for the debit balance accounts for which
you are belatedly entering the initial balances. As long as you assign
this a date before any of the existing transactions, will appear first.

I never do the historic/initial balances when creating the accounts. But
I learned accounting pen and ink on paper.

Michael