categorize expenses without altering account journals

Duke Hound dukethek9 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 14:34:00 EDT 2009

Hello,

Is it possible to categorize expenses without altering the schedule of
accounts?  I specifically mean to categorize the expenses so that the
computer can run an "amount spent" report for a particular category,
independent of which journal/account the expense happens to have been
entered.

For example, in the expense account: "Food" i would like to categorize
food as any number of the following descriptions: "fruit, vegetable,
travel expense, dinning, grocery store, work cafeteria, vending machine,
entertainment, gift, etc...".  As I am sure you all agree creating
subaccounts for each one of these possible combinations of
classifications would be burdensome and make the chart of accounts
overly complex.  However, it would be nice to categorize the food
account expense for the running of reports.

Ideally, what I am thinking of is a categorized description so that the
computer (when running a report) can automatically filter all expenses
that are in the categories I am concerned about viewing.  When I say
reports, I am merely referring to an accumulated total during a time
period.  The categories are not journals/accounts and are not double
entered and balanced.  Rather the categories are used as expense
descriptive labels for a computer to use to filter expenses and derive a
category total for report.

This allows the chart of account "design" to be separated from the
presentation.  Changing the chart of accounts by adding a multitude of
subaccounts to accommodate report generation seems to me to be entirely
poor practice.  For those of you familiar with programing, I am sure you
can appreciate this separation.

Essentially I am wanting to slap "category" description labels onto each
expense account.  The descriptions don't change the fundamental double
entry accounting, but rather is merely an aide for category-report
generation.

Does such a practice exist in modern accounting software? in GNUcash?

Thanks,