categorize expenses without altering account journals

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Sun Apr 19 17:40:00 EDT 2009

I have just transferred the set of accounts I am running *away* from a
system that worked as you describe *to* gnucash, and I wouldn't go back.
Once you've used it, the gnucash system really is much, *much* simpler to
work with, and also more reliable.

> As I am sure you all agree creating
> subaccounts for each one of these possible combinations of
> classifications would be burdensome and make the chart of accounts
> overly complex.  However, it would be nice to categorize the food
> account expense for the running of reports.

I wouldn't agree.  It really isn't any easier to set up a series of
categories than it is to set up a series of sub-accounts.  It really
isn't any easier to split your transactions over a set of categories than
over a set of sub-accounts.

I can't actually think of a single thing that a category-based system can
offer you that the gnucash account system can't.  The only difference is
that with gnucash you have to think a little more carefully about your
chart of accounts - but that's a *GOOD* thing.  (And it's pretty easy to
change the structure, if you must, even under a live system!)

Colin