Account file becomes corrupt after saving in Mac OS X

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 19 15:45:25 EDT 2009

On Apr 19, 2009, at 12:30 PM, <graffitici at yahoo.com> <graffitici at yahoo.com
 > wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been trying to get GnuCash on my Mac OS X system for a long
> time now. After finally getting Fink to work and compile the 300
> package requirements, I was rejoiced to see the main account screen.
> I copied the same GnuCash account I've been using on my Linux setup,
> and got it to open. Everything seems to be fine up to this point,
> but when I try to save it (even without making any changes) and try
> to reopen the saved file, the start-up hangs at the "Reading File"
> step.
>
> I seem to be able to create new, empty files, and save those, but I
> couldn't manage to start working off of my previous file. Since I
> have all my account structure etc.. set up there, I would really
> like to get it back.
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening?
>
> Thanks,
> Berk

Which version of OS X? Which version of gnucash on the mac? Which
version of gnucash on Linux? How big is your file? How long are you
waiting at "reading file"? What kind of Mac? Can you take a copy of
the original data file, open it on the mac, Save As some other file
name, and open that one?

The most common reason the mac stops while "reading file..." is that
the gnucash splash screen is modal on the mac, and gnucash cannot
display another dialog/alert while the splash screen is showing. The
most common trigger for an attempted second alert is that there are
lock files present for the data file being opened (gnucash asks at
that point "what do you want to do?", but the question is blocked by
the existence of the modal splash screen). There is at least one other
situation that also locks up with the splash screen.

The usual workaround is to start gnucash with "gnucash --nofile" and
then use the File menu to open the data file. You'll then find out
what other alert was trying to appear when the splash screen blocked it.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net