GnuCash on windows vs Ubuntu

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:59:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Laura Lincoln <cblist1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> oops. I meant 2.2.4 to 2.2.9. Sorry about that.
>
> Back to my original question....how would I update to 2.2.9 if the Ubuntu
> repos only have 2.2.4?  Is there an "update" feature within GnuCash like
> many other programs include? I could not find it.

For better or for worse, Ubuntu is mostly based upon Debian, which
does not yet have 2.2.9, so not even the new Ubuntu version that comes
out in a few days will have it.

Several folks have built "unofficial" packages you can install, most
notably the version at getdeb.net, but since that version is not
officially vetted you have to trust that it doesn't have some rogue
code slipped in somewhere.

At this moment, if you need a feature in a newer version and don't
have a trusted source, you might need to compile your own. I haven't
done this lately but it shouldn't be too difficult. Instructions here:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Debian#Alternatively_build_a_different_version_of_Gnucash_directly_from_source

(If that link breaks in your email, go to
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Debian and scroll about 4/5ths of the way
down)

BY THE WAY...This has frequently been a concern for Ubuntu releases
because GnuCash is not in the "main" Ubuntu repository -- instead the
package directly tracks the Debian version.

One solution might be to help the Debian maintainer of GnuCash get the
updates through the pipeline more quickly. Any version released today
would get into Ubuntu 9.10 in October.

Another solution might be to assemble some interested developers with
the appropriate creds in Ubuntu who could "sponsor" a
non-Debian-derived Ubuntu version. I thought
https://launchpad.net/~gnucash would do that, but a few months back
one of them told me specifically they did NOT intend to bypass the
Debian packages.