About GnuCash lists

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Thu Apr 30 13:16:45 EDT 2009

  Tommy Trussel wrote:

> I just looked at the email source, and messages from the list DO have
> a List-ID: just as expected. Probably your MUA (email reader) is
> hiding it. ("Thor 2.6a"?) It's possible it's getting stripped out
> somewhere before it gets to you, but I would hope not. It shouldn't.

They have List-* headers, except when they are not coming from the
list itself (like when replying to the sender with a Cc to the list).

(For the story: Thor is a mail/news manager/offline reader for the
Amiga.  It is quite old (last updated in 1996), but has a quite high
level of customisation thru Rexx scripting.  So i'm still using it
today as my main mail agent. :-)
BTW, I've changed Thor's settings for the list so that it will not add
a Reply-To field, if it ever has.)

  Tommy Trussell wrote:

> Yes, and MailMan is probably set to NOT deliver the list message when
> it sees that the recipient is already named.

Yes, I think so, and that's a good think (not receiving CCed message twice).

> So unfortunately, a filter for the messages based
> solely upon list-id would miss any message that is actually addressed
> to you.

That's why I think the only way to identify such incoming messages is to
search for the list email address in the Cc: field (and probably also in
the To: field).

  Derek Atkins, replying to Tommy Trussel, wrote:

> Nope, mailman is not configured this way (unless you changed the setting
> yourself -- it's a per-person flag).

Are you sure ?
Browsing my POP mailbox, I have not seen any duplicate gnucash messages.
I believe the list is smart enough to not distribute a message to the
other recipients the message was addressed to.

> However your mailer may notice
> that you get two messages with the same MessageID and toss the second
> one as a duplicate.

Don't think so.  The MessageID cannot be the same when the message is
sent from two different sources.

AmigaPhil