How to a migrate my data to another computer?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 23:35:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:05 PM, macaronic<macaronic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I opened it!  Unfortunately I have no idea why!
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> I created a new GnuCash file and called it "frank".  Then I closed it and
> tried to open my old "frank" file on the desktop and it worked. No error
> message, no attitude, it simply opened the file.  This doesn't make any
> sense and I don't buy it.  I don't see the connection between what I did and
> the change in result.
>
> In any event I did find this very frustrating and I wholeheartedly
> appreciate your kind help.  It a good thing a like GnuCash...
>
> Since I unfortunately don't know what the cause or solution to my problem
> was, could you kindly what the best way of saving my data would be.  Do I
> continue to use "Save As" (with sqlite3 as the format) in GnuCash and back
> up my data to an external drive?  Is this the recommended way of making
> regular back ups or transfering your data?
>
> P.S. To answer your previous question: Yes, I had tried both on the desktop
> on it's own and in a folder. Yes, I was trying to open the file in GnuCash
> (i.e. not by double clicking it in explorer). I was using the latest
> bleeding version 2.3.3.  I didn't know there was a difference between the
> release and the beta version.  Thanks for pointing it out!

I have not tried the newer versions of GnuCash that can use the SQL
database. You very well might have uncovered a bug. When you first
save the file, surely it gives you a chance to save the file in the
"old fashioned" xml format (compressed or uncompressed). I suspect you
will find the file will continue to work if you downgrade to the
released version of the software.

But unless you intend to help debug problems on the "bleeding edge," I
suspect you might be happier with the release version.

As Derek pointed out, backing up your data is something that should
happen with GnuCash closed (not being used). Simply copying the file
to a USB drive would work, or using a network service or backup
program. (The best ones allow you to "roll back" to a previous version
of your data if you discover an error after you backup your data
file.)