how to see my monthly income/expences?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Aug 11 07:11:43 EDT 2009

Janis Prodnieks wrote:

>Hi!
>I tried to read the help and search the internet about this but
>without good luck. What I want to do is:
>1. Create custom report or something that will show me my income and
>expences on a monthly basis. Like The current Reports -> Income &
>Expense -> Cash Flow. Just with specific month not whole year.
>2. To see the average income or expenses of certain accounts for
>certain period.
>Also, a bit confusing is that if I'm writting to the list without
>being subscribed to it how will I get the answer?
>Regards,
>Janis

You will see the answer because the protocol for this list is to use

1) You decide the starting and ending dates for the report. The default
is YTD but you do not have to accept that and can set any starting and
ending date that you wish. Edit=>Options and you can change all sorts of
things about the reports on the fly.

2) Unclear what you mean by that though I suspect I know what you meant.
But this is perhaps a good time to put out a reminder that the standard
reports are just the STARTING POINT (the raw data) from which an
accountant might create either finished products or derivative reports.

    OK, let's say that you have run an "Income Statement" for the time
period of the last seven months. This aren't the numbers you wish to see
but instead you want to see the average monthly amounts. Well seven
months, divide each and every one of them by seven and change to title
of the report. Note that in its simplest form this wouldn't be hard to
create as a "custom report" (but would get MUCH more complicated adding
what would be necessary to prevent being misuse, especially if having to
allow for "fiscal months" not coinciding with calendar months). THAT is
why almost any accountant would say "give me the raw report and I'll
give you back the finished version" (eyeball confirm that the report WAS
for an integral number of months and retype with all amounts divided by
that number).

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.