Updating GC in Jaunty

Sam Morris sam at robots.org.uk
Thu Aug 13 17:56:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:39:26 -0700, FireFly wrote:

> Yvan,
>
>> This will install the downloaded version in /usr/local/. So if you want
>> to call your newly gnucash you should run:
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/gnucash
>>
>> if you want to change the installation location you should use the
>> --prefix option with configure (see the INSTALL file)
>>
>> Please, any gnucashguru, correct me if i am wrong.
>
> Just to confirm, so to install to the "regular" place that Ubuntu puts
> GNUCash (currently at the 2.2.6 version) I would just specify
> "--prefix=/usr" ?
>
> I'd like to have my system as "close" to all installed the the package
> manager as possible, but the latest .deb packages for GNUCash all seem
> to be 2.2.6, and since I've been using 2.2.9 and that's the latest
> stable version, it would seem that is the version I should be using.

I wouldn't do that -- on a Linux system, files directly in /usr are best
left to the package manager. Locally installed stuff should go in /usr/
local.

Even better, you could say --prefix=$HOME/gnucash. That way, you don't
need to install Gnucash as root and can remove it simply by removing that
directory once the Debian/Ubunty packages are updated to 2.2.9.

--
Sam Morris
https://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078