Updating GC in Jaunty

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Fri Aug 14 04:00:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 13:46 -0400, Tax Assistance Program wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have installed ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop and found that GnuCash is at
> 2.2.6.  I downloaded and extracted the 2.2.9 tar.gz.  So far I cannot
> see that it was updated (the icon and also the About screen both say
> 2.2.6).  What do I need to do to update GC to 2.2.9 inside Jaunty?

For a version that will be correctly managed using
apt/synaptic/update-manager, I suggest you add the Gnucash PPA to your
repository list.  See https://launchpad.net/~gnucash/+archive/ppa

The Ubuntu developers have packaged gnucash 2.2.9 for the various older
supported Ubuntu releases.

Updated versions of some related packages are also available from that
repository.

The Finance::Quote perl library (packaged as libfinance-quote-perl) is
NOT among those updates, so you only have access to version 1.13 in the
official repositories.  Since it is entirely perl code, it might be
possible to use the libfinance-quote-perl package from karmic by
manually downloading it from your local mirror, and installing it using
dpkg.  The URL for that file is
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/libf/libfinance-quote-perl/libfinance-quote-perl_1.16-2_all.deb

(you can point to your local mirror rather than the main site by using
CC.archive.ubuntu.com, where CC is your ISO country code)

tim at zaphod:~$ dpkg-deb -I Desktop/libfinance-quote-perl_1.16-2_all.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 196536 bytes: control archive= 3472 bytes.
     562 bytes,    13 lines      control
    8105 bytes,   100 lines      md5sums
 Package: libfinance-quote-perl
 Version: 1.16-2
 Architecture: all
 Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
sources
  This is a Perl module that retrieves stock quotes and other securities
  information from various locations

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz>