saving a gnucash data file

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 14 16:53:41 EDT 2009

2009/8/14 Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com>:

>> I think there is an argument for a backup database feature.  There is
>> a distinction between word processor documents and a database on a
>> server.  A user of a word processor should know where the document is
>> saved to as he, at some point, saved it there.  A user may not have as
>> much knowledge about, for example, his mysql server.  The machine may
>> be multi user with his gnucash database just one of many dbs managed
>> by the server.  The sysadmin should be managing backups of the whole
>> system but an individual user might like a backup of just his data as
>> an extra safeguard.  It will be little consolation for him/her to
>> complain after a loss that the sysadmin (spouse?) should have been
>> backing it up more often.
>>

> It's a background experience thing?
>
> Probably the reason why I failed to see a distinction is that in the case of
> my databases being "on some other machine" I would have considered it
> equally possible that things such as word processor documents might be
> elsewhere also. For example, back in my working days the PC on my desk (or
> the one at home running a terminal emulator to a virtual session) appeared
> to have several disk drives to which data like documents might be saved. But
> only one of these actually in the box, the others being on the corporate
> servers. Now in THAT case these "other locations" would be the safer
> location (all corporate devices backed up nightly -- not talking just about
> little machines like network servers but every disk drive of the big
> mainframes. multiple copies of backups, some sent off site in case of
> disaster).

A nightly (or whatever) backup is not the only reason for taking a
backup.  If one is about to do something and one is not sure of the
outcome (import some QIF data for example) one may want to take a
backup at that point in case the import goes wrong.  To satisfy this
one needs an 'on demand' backup.  How does one do this when using
mysql?

> In other words, were I to be storing any of my data on "somebody else's
> machines" what were their backup procedures and what was in place for
> "disaster recovery" would be foremost in my mind.
>
> Michael
>
> PS -- Certainly when working from home I'd be "storing data elsewhere".
> Difficult enough to be sending screen images back and forth over a slow
> phone line. Large files would be out of the question.

It is not only an issue of the data being stored on another machine.
On my Ubuntu PC the mysql databases are stored in /var/lib/mysql,
which is not something that a 'user' (spouse) as opposed to sysadmin
(myself) knows.  In addition the gnucash db is not just a file there.
One cannot back it up merely by copying a file.

Colin