saving a gnucash data file

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Aug 14 16:37:25 EDT 2009

>I think there is an argument for a backup database feature.  There is
>a distinction between word processor documents and a database on a
>server.  A user of a word processor should know where the document is
>saved to as he, at some point, saved it there.  A user may not have as
>much knowledge about, for example, his mysql server.  The machine may
>be multi user with his gnucash database just one of many dbs managed
>by the server.  The sysadmin should be managing backups of the whole
>system but an individual user might like a backup of just his data as
>an extra safeguard.  It will be little consolation for him/her to
>complain after a loss that the sysadmin (spouse?) should have been
>backing it up more often.

It's a background experience thing?

Probably the reason why I failed to see a distinction is that in the
case of my databases being "on some other machine" I would have
considered it equally possible that things such as word processor
documents might be elsewhere also. For example, back in my working days
the PC on my desk (or the one at home running a terminal emulator to a
virtual session) appeared to have several disk drives to which data like
documents might be saved. But only one of these actually in the box, the
others being on the corporate servers. Now in THAT case these "other
locations" would be the safer location (all corporate devices backed up
nightly -- not talking just about little machines like network servers
but every disk drive of the big mainframes. multiple copies of backups,
some sent off site in case of disaster).

In other words, were I to be storing any of my data on "somebody else's
machines" what were their backup procedures and what was in place for
"disaster recovery" would be foremost in my mind.

Michael

PS -- Certainly when working from home I'd be "storing data elsewhere".
Difficult enough to be sending screen images back and forth over a slow
phone line. Large files would be out of the question.