Updating GC in Jaunty

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 11:52:37 EDT 2009

--- On Tue, 8/18/09, Thomas Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu> wrote:

> From: Thomas Bullock <tbullock at nd.edu>
> Subject: RE: Updating GC in Jaunty
> To: "'Tommy Trussell'" <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
> Cc: "'gnucash-user at gnucash.org'" <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 5:03 AM
> Still absorbing and growing, at least
> on the information side, but not so much on the action
> side.  The more the user group responds, the more I
> learn how much I have yet to learn.
>
> Thanks for your additional suggestions.  At some
> point, I am going to have to jump into the water and start
> swimming.  Currently, what gives me pause is the net
> effect of the dialogue to this point.  Yvan, James
> Duerr, Tim Frost, and you have made me suspect that
> extracting the tar that I downloaded likely was done in the
> wrong location.  Since I did not specify a location,
> the extraction must have used a default place.
>
> So I have these hesitations/questions:
> 1.  Can the extracted tar be reversed?  It seems
> to me not likely.   If not, how do I find it
> and delete the extracted modules so that I can be assured of
> a clean install?  If these modules cannot be found,
> will the System>Administration>Computer Janitor clean
> them up eventually?

Unfortunately, no clue, I've just been reinstalling Ubuntu when I do something that turns out to be "wrong" (just playing really right now) so far I think I've installed about 20 times since last Friday!

> 2.  If I follow your most recent suggestion of using
> karmic repositories, am I correct that the Synaptic Package
> Manager or the Applications>Add/Remove function will
> actually handle the install of the downloaded modules and I
> would not have to use the multi-step terminal process
> outlined by James Duerr?

Yes, this avoids any manual installation, I'm actually using Koala now (since I found it doesn't seem to have too many bugs/issues, and has the latest packets that I do want). Using Koala I could get both the 2.2.9 version of GNUCash, and the 1.16 version of FQ

> Thanks to all of you who are so patient with a newcomer to
> Linux, Jaunty, and all things not-Windows!
>
> Tom

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com