Updating GC in Jaunty

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Tue Aug 18 08:03:52 EDT 2009

Still absorbing and growing, at least on the information side, but not so much on the action side.  The more the user group responds, the more I learn how much I have yet to learn.

Thanks for your additional suggestions.  At some point, I am going to have to jump into the water and start swimming.  Currently, what gives me pause is the net effect of the dialogue to this point.  Yvan, James Duerr, Tim Frost, and you have made me suspect that extracting the tar that I downloaded likely was done in the wrong location.  Since I did not specify a location, the extraction must have used a default place.

So I have these hesitations/questions:
1.  Can the extracted tar be reversed?  It seems to me not likely.   If not, how do I find it and delete the extracted modules so that I can be assured of a clean install?  If these modules cannot be found, will the System>Administration>Computer Janitor clean them up eventually?

2.  If I follow your most recent suggestion of using karmic repositories, am I correct that the Synaptic Package Manager or the Applications>Add/Remove function will actually handle the install of the downloaded modules and I would not have to use the multi-step terminal process outlined by James Duerr?

Thanks to all of you who are so patient with a newcomer to Linux, Jaunty, and all things not-Windows!

Tom