Startup time

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 19 08:45:22 EDT 2009

Mike,

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:

>>Unfortunately, there are situations where the only way a user can
>>retain a report is to leave it open from session to session. The last
>>I heard, multicolumn reports fall into this category.
>>

> I'm not completely sure I understand that -- might well be an issue
> about how reports are being USED. Could somebody who does this try to
> explain how/why except during the fairly short time period (hopefully)
> between the first trial run of a report and the final version you
> would want a report to remain open? To me "open" means "could be
> changed" and once the final version of a report exists it shouldn't be
> changed -- just as the books should be considered "closed" for that
> time period. Is this perhaps a difference between those of us who are
> following standard accounting procedures like not making "corrections"
> except by a later correction entry and those who because "well, just
> personal books" follow more lax procedures?

Your definition of "open" is wrong here.  In this case an "open report"
means a report that you don't destroy.  I.e., when you run a report it
opens a report window (tab).  If you do not close the tab when you
exit gnucash, then when you restart gnucash it will re-run the same
report with the same configuration.

Sometimes setting up a report configuration can take a long time, so
being able to retain those settings (report options) are a good thing.

> In my case, once a report is "complete" I export it to a "reports"
> directory. No need for it to exist any longer within GnuCash. If some
> of you are using reports in a different manner please try to explain
> how you are using them so we can give attention to the problem.

I do it because there are some reports I want to see all the time.  For
example, I keep open an Income Statement, Balance Sheet, because I'm
always interested in how I'm doing.  They are always based on "Today" so
I see how they are doing as of when GnuCash starts (or when I reload the
report).  On my consulting company setup I also keep open a Fancy
Invoice with the configuration I want.  This way I don't have to go
reconfigure the standard template fancy invoice report every time I want
to print an invoice.