Finance::Quote problem

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Thu Aug 20 09:00:32 EDT 2009

Hi Graeme.  I am running Mandriva 2009 Spring.  I merely installed Gnucash and
it installed a F::Q RPM as a dependency.

Fedora uses rpms, but what follows should apply to any distro with a package
manager, including Debian-based.  RPMs keep a database of what is or is not
installed.  If you install F::Q via CPAN, your system's database won't know
about it.  Your installation of GnuCash is reading that database, not your
perl directory.  In that case, you need to compile Gnucash from the tarball.
It will then bypass the database and find Finance::Quote.  In my case, I don't
have the option of leaving it out, but it makes sense for those who don't have
shares.

So my recommendation would be: find an RPM of Finance::Quote.  If there isn't
one for your distro, the one for Fedora 10 or even from Mandriva may install,
and you will have the installation issue covered.  If Fedora 11 gives you the
option of "with-F::Q", take it, even though F::Q is already installed.

HTH,

Doug.