Startup time

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Thu Aug 20 15:43:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:25:59 -0400
Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>Seriously, GnuCash is just a large application.  It takes time to load.
>[...]
>Seriously, how long is it taking to load?  15 seconds?  20?

v. 2.2.6 on Linux:

20s without account opening (--nofile)
21s opening 29MB file (without opening reports)
6s opening 6MB file  (without opening reports)
31s opening Income Statement for 29MB file

The 29MB file spans 5 yrs.

Personally, I don't mind the start-up time. It's the first thing I open
in the morning and the last thing I close at midnight.

I enter all my transactions "live" as I go along and I appreciate the
speed at which I can do so. (I often enter transactions under time
pressure.)

What I find a major problem though is the time it takes to run reports,
to the extent that I virtually stopped using them. However, the
reports, in my mind, are the main reason for entering the data in the
first place.

(Like you wrote in another post, Derek, I would like to keep certain
reports open all the time.)

Can the SQL-based version be expected to produce reports faster?

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion