entry transaction not only at bottom

Daniel Trezub daniel3ub at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:07:14 EDT 2009

> > I often download statements from my bank website, spanning from a week to
> > month. Then, these statements are imported into gnucash. Sometimes, the
> > save/import process skip some transactions (prob my bank's fault), so I
> have
> > to check the imported QIF against my printed statement.
> >
> > If I see there is a missing transaction way back the beginning of the
> month,
> > for example, I have to go to the bottom of the transaction list, enter
> the
> > transaction, and then go back manually to the the point the new
> transaction
> > has been inserted (cronologically) to continue my checking. Some times
> this
> > point is a few screens up.
> >
> > There is no sense to me, while doing this job, for sorting the
> transactions
> > in other way than cronological order, as I am checking the transactions
> > against my printed statement.
>
> So in the use-case you described, you are trying to match transactions
> between a QIF import and a bank-produced statement, so you want the
> transactions to appear in the same order to make comparing them
> easier.

Yes and no :)
I enter some transactions by hand in day-by-day basis. I import the QIF just
one or two times a month, just to be sure I don't miss anything from my bank
(taxes, fees, etc). So it's better to import the QIF, match the duplicate
transactions (that i've already entered but are imported from the QIF) and
then compare all the transactions with the printed statement.

> > As I understand the original 2003 question (and as I agreed with it), the
> > problem lies in having to go to the bottom of my transaction list, and
> has
> > nothing to do with the newly entered transaction disappearing from there.
> My
> > proposed solutions would be:
> > 1. the ability to enter transactions in any point of the screen (like
> > clicking in the "new transaction" button, and a blank line being inserted
> > just after or before the line where the cursor lies)
>

> Here you are describing being able to "freeze" or disable the
> live-sorting feature of the spreadsheet so that it (temporarily) works
> like an office spreadsheet program.

I think there is a misanderstanding here. Maybe mine. :(
I am describing being able to insert a new transaction without having to
change pages. If my screen is set to show the transactions in cronological
order, I want to be able to insert a new transaction between two other
transactions (cronologically speaking), let's say I have a expense for 03/10
and a bill for 03/12 and I missed a transaction for 03/11. As for today, I
have to go to the bottom of the transaction list, insert the new
transaction, and get back some screens up to find the newly entered
transaction.

Please view the gnucash_transaction_01.gif file attached. It should clarify
my explanation. It's an animated gif.

Another solution would be the screen change to the point where the new
transaction was inserted, but all of this without freezing or disabling the
live-sorting feature. I didn't get why it should happen. (or maybe I didn't
get the live-sorting thing at first)

> 2. or to have the "enter transaction" "form" in a "frame" aways present on
> > the screen (in the bottom of the screen). This could be an option in the
> > "View" menu, but I can see a lot of hate coming against this solution, as
> > this is the way MS Money works :(
>
> I think I can see how someone might prefer this, because you could
> additionally present the data in a manner not conducive to the
> spreadsheet metaphor. However, I think its benefits are outweighed by
> the expectation people have for being able to scroll directly to the
> transaction and seeing one (and only one) representation of their data
> in the list.

The presentation of the data will not be affected, be it this way or the
previous way. The user can choose how to order the data, and none of the
proposed solutions would change that. It's just a way to INSERT data, not
viewing. It does not matter the way the list is sorted, actually.

View the gnucash_insert_02.gif file attached. hope this helps :)

Thanks for taking your time to discuss this issue!

Daniel