entry transaction not only at bottom

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sat Aug 22 07:14:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 09:14:08AM -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Daniel Trezub<daniel3ub at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am searching the archives for this list, looking for some of my ideas of
> > improvement for GC. I've found this email, from some time ago:
> >
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2003-November/009076.html
> >
> > This is something that really bugs me. Is there any way to ask developers to
> > reconsider this design decision? ;)
>
> (To summarize for people who don't want to follow the link-- the
> message is a response to a person who wants to continue to see
> transactions entered out of order, and NOT have them "disappear" once
> they are entered (because they instantly sort to the register's sort
> order).

What I see as needed is for the new-transaction entry line, which is now
always at the bottom of the register, and can be scrolled out of the
window, to instead be permanently at the bottom of the window,
outside the scrolled region, and therefor unaffected by scrolling.

THen it's possible for the entered transaction to be sorted into its
proper place, to be displayed in context by automatically scrolling
to the proper place, and still leave the new-transaction on-screen
for the next transaction.

This ould also sole the problem of accidentally overwriting an
existing transaction by starting to enter a new one without realizing
the window hasn't been scrolled to the bottom.

(With the present setup, an undo feature would be nice. At present, the
only undo I know of us shutting gnucash down without saving.)

> How do you feel about the solution proposed in that message? Changing
> the register's sort order to Date Entered seems like it would address
> your concern completely.
>
> Are you concerned that it's difficult to discover how to display the
> Date Entered field on the register?

Being able to display that would be nice occasionally.

-- hendrik