Finance::Quote problem

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sun Aug 23 04:02:25 EDT 2009

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 03:14:10 pm Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On 08/20/2009 11:00 PM, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> > Hi Graeme.  I am running Mandriva 2009 Spring.  I merely installed
> > Gnucash and it installed a F::Q RPM as a dependency.
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks for the info. When GnuCash was upgraded after upgrading from F10
> to F11 no dependency was listed but I couldn't get quotes anymore so I
> installed F::Q via cpan as I have always done without problems.
>
> Derek asked what the result of gnc-fq-dump was. That said that
> /usr/bin/gnc-fq-dump cannot find all the Perl modules needed to run.
>
> Install Crypt::SSLeay or run gnc-fq-update as root.
>
> I ran gnc-fq-update, as root, and it installed Crypt::SSLeay and some
> other modules but I still cannot get quotes. I also re-installed GnuCash
> but no joy. I am not sure what to do next.
>
> Regards,
>
> Graeme.
>
> > Fedora uses rpms, but what follows should apply to any distro with a
> > package manager, including Debian-based.  RPMs keep a database of what is
> > or is not installed.  If you install F::Q via CPAN, your system's
> > database won't know about it.  Your installation of GnuCash is reading
> > that database, not your perl directory.  In that case, you need to
> > compile Gnucash from the tarball. It will then bypass the database and
> > find Finance::Quote.  In my case, I don't have the option of leaving it
> > out, but it makes sense for those who don't have shares.
> >
> > So my recommendation would be: find an RPM of Finance::Quote.  If there
> > isn't one for your distro, the one for Fedora 10 or even from Mandriva
> > may install, and you will have the installation issue covered.  If Fedora
> > 11 gives you the option of "with-F::Q", take it, even though F::Q is
> > already installed.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Doug.

I don't know if I can help you further.  What sourrce of quotes are you using?
I tried to use ASX, but couldn't get it to work. The test program seemed to be
saying that there weren't enough parameters for GnuCash to use.  That seemed
strange, but I switched to Yahoo Australia and have had no problems.  I am
running F::Q version 1.16.  The dependencies it lists are:
perl-libwww-perl
perl-HTML-TableExtract
perl-CGI
perl-HTML-Tree
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(VersionedDependencies) <= 3.0.3-1
perl-base >= 2:5.10.0
perl(CGI)
perl(Carp)
perl(Crypt::SSLeay)
perl(Encode)
perl(Exporter)
perl(Finance::Quote::UserAgent)
perl(Finance::Quote::Yahoo::Base)
perl(HTML::Parser)
perl(HTML::TableExtract)
perl(HTML::TreeBuilder)
perl(HTTP::Headers)
perl(HTTP::Request::Common)
perl(HTTP::Status)
perl(LWP::Simple)
perl(LWP::UserAgent)
perl(POSIX)
perl(URI)
perl(URI::QueryParam)
rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.6-1

You can ignore the rpmlib ones.  I haven't used CPAN for a while, but I
thought that it took care of the dependencies.  It might be worthwhile seeing
if the Fedora list has any ideas, since it seems to have become a problem only
when you upgraded.

Doug.