Strange problem with V2.2.9

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Aug 25 08:52:40 EDT 2009

On Saturday 22 August 2009 14:59:59 ozieostrige wrote:
> I tried to post this problem on #gnucash IRC earlier but my connection kept
> dropping out.
>
> When I enter transactions Gnucash adds an amount for car expenses.
>
> EG If I buy a packet of split pins and a drill bit from my local hardware
> store, I open a new bill and fill in the 1st line:
> Date/split Pins/EXPENSES:SPARE PARTS/1.00/$2.95/Taxable/Tax inc/Tax Table
> GST (10%)
> The 2nd line is then filled in:
> Date/Drill Bit/EXPENSES:TOOLS/100/$2.85/Taxable/Tax inc/Tax Table GST (10%)
> The total displayed in the lower left hand corner of the screen is $5.80
> which is correct.
> I then post the bill and pay it from ASSETS:CASH ON HAND.  Everything seems
> normal until I check the various accounts.
>
> Cash on hand account records a spend of $5.80 which is correct
> If I jump from here to Accounts Payable the transaction is recorded as a
> payment of $5.80 which is also correct.  However the next line in this
> account is recorded as a split totalling $5.80 in the bill column and when
> I open the split I find:
> EXPENSES:TOOLS $2.59, EXPENSES:CAR EXPENSES $0.53, EXPENSES:SPARE PARTS
> $2.68 in the payment column and LIABILITIES:ACCOUNTS PAYABLE $5.80 in the
> bill column.
>
> Every transaction I enter has a similar result, both income and expenses.
>
> Can someone please tell me what I might be doing wrong for this to occur?
> At no time did I specify the car expenses account, but Gnucash appears to
> have added this as a component of each item.

Hi,

That sure sounds odd.  Some ideas which may or may not help:

You are using the "Process Payment" dialogue to pay the bills, I hope?

Can you search for unpaid bills from your automotive supplier? ( something
like: Buisness -> Vendor -> Find Bill -> search for "is Paid?" "is not" "set
true")

Could you grab a screenshot of one or two of the transactions, preferably with
the splits fully expanded?

As an aside, generally a business wouldn't use the AP system for minor cash
expense like this - more usual use would be keeping track of bills with
credit terms that become due for payment some time after they are issued,
from suppliers that you have an ongoing trading relationship with.  On a
personal level, things like utility bills might go through an AP, if you were
being strict with your books.

HTH,
Maf.