Noob question about rebates/savings

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:30:32 EDT 2009

One thing that I find a little bit annoying is the fact how I need to enter
the names of the rebates.

This is how I do it now:

Stop & Shop:
Memo:
Bread (Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
Milk    (Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
Apples(Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
Bread  (Expenses:Groceries)        0.49
Milk    (Expenses:Groceries)         0.49
Apples (Expenses:Groceries)         0.49

I'm repeating the same stuff just to get a record of the rebate, ideally it
would be something like this:
Stop & Shop:
Memo:
Bread (Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
         (Expenses:Groceries)         0.49
Milk    (Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
         (Expenses:Groceries)         0.49
Apples(Expenses:Groceries) 2.99
         (Expenses:Groceries)         0.49

Is there a way to do this?  It's merely how the information is being
displayed.  I tried putting the savings under it, but got them all simply
put at the end of all of the transactions (not what I wanted.)

Michael DeBusk-3 wrote:

> Yawar Amin wrote:
>
>> then put in the Stop & Shop rebate (0.49) as an income.
>
> Despite the maxim "a penny saved is a penny earned", this money is not
> income. It's recorded in a "contra" account, usually a credit-balance
> account under the debit-balance "cost of goods sold". People on a
> cash-accounting basis don't worry about them.
>
> (You don't want anyone, not even yourself, to believe you're earning
> money you aren't earning.)
>
> Since the OP wants to, though, he could do it three ways, depending on
> his goals. He could either:
>
> - Open a savings account somewhere and deposit all savings, discounts,
> and rebates into it. Credit Cash or Checking for 2.99, debit Groceries
> for 2.50, debit Savings for 0.49; or
>
> - Set up a contra account for each expense at which he gets a discount,
> rebate, etc. Credit Cash or Checking for 2.99, debit Groceries:Purchases
> for 2.50, debit Groceries:Discounts for 0.49; or
>
> - Write it in a notebook, keep it in a spreadsheet, etc. Something
> outside the chart of accounts. You still get to watch it add up, but you
> don't make your bookkeeping chores any more complex than they need to be.
>
> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments
> Home: http://nlphilia.com     * Blog: http://nlphilia.net
> Registered Linux User #450983 * Ubuntu Counter Project #10548

Ideally I'd like to keep this information as close together as possible so
that I can get ascertain what is going on after a quick glance (not having
to open a new account.)  It just seems easier to keep all of that stuff
closer together.