How to do this ? (amount remaining for rest of month)

Tim T. tim.timmerman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:33:47 EDT 2009

Hi,
   after my initial fail with the GUI, I've got everything set up the
way I want it, and it's actually an improvement over my old system.

Biggest win: being able to import bankstatements directly.

I'm only missing one thing: the amount remaining for the rest of the
month. Let me explain:
- All transactions on my Checking account come directly from my bank
- I have to groups of recurring payments: One group at the start of
the month, one group at the end of the month.
  All of these payments are made through direct debit from the
checking account, amounts are always the same.
- Then there are the usual expenses (Groceries etc.), spread over the
whole month.

My old system reserved the money for both the first and second group,
and from the difference between that and the income (always on the
first of the month), I'd be able to determine how much money was left,
allowing me to predict whether I'd need to find more money, or could
actually take the wife out to dinner.

How can I set up gnucash to produce a report, showing the remaining
balance, taking into account future, known expenses ? Given that I
want to keep importing my bank statements, and don't want to check for
duplicate entries ?

Thanks,
   TimT