Wishlist: All duplicated imported transactions in one expanded window

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 27 10:49:19 EDT 2009

Daniel Trezub <daniel3ub at gmail.com> writes:

> When importing a QIF file over an existing account, the importer can find
> some duplicated transactions.
>
> The user has, then, to click on the imported transaction on the left panel
> of the window, click on the appropriate transaction on the right panel that
> matches the imported one, and so on for every duplicated imported
> transaction.
>
> When importing a large number of transactions with a large number of
> duplicates, this work can get very time consuming.
>
> One way to make things better is to show all duplicated transactions and
> their respective guesses in one big scrollable window, so the user can see
> at a glance every imported transaction AND their duplicate guesses, clicking
> on the matching transactions only.
>
> Another idea would be import the transactions into a "maybe duplicated
> transactions" account or something like this. The view for this account
> would be the transactions list with the imported ones in one line over the
> duplicated guesses in the following lines, with the ability to check the
> matching transactions. Something like a tree view, but without the need to
> expand it.
>
> Am I clear? :P

No....

Let's say you have list 1, the imported list, that has transactions A,
B, and C.  Transaction A potentially matches F, G, or H, B potentially
matches M, N, or O, and C potentially matchines X, Y, or Z.  Note that
I'm supplying a simple example here.  There could be dozens of potential
matches per transaction, and dozens of transactions that need to be
matched, so the total list of potential match transactions could reach
into the hundreds quickly.

But back to my simple example. Lets presume that this is all displayed
as you say, so you have two columns.  Column 1 has A, B, and C.  Column
2 has F, G, H, M, N, O, X, Y, Z.  How would the user perform the
matching?  You click on A and then click on F, G, or H (scrolling
through the window to find them, of course)..  Then click on a "Found
Match" button....  And then repeat for B, and C...

But that's effectively what you're doing now, except the right-hand
display is limited only to the potential matches for what you've
selected so you have fewer options to choose from.  Much less confusing.

> What do you think? Give me your ideas so I can file this one in Bugzilla.

I think that I don't understand how this is "better".