Roommate expenses?

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 22:01:06 EDT 2009

Hi-

I realize this is a bit outside the scope of the question you asked, but
have you considered having a separate checking account for your shared
expenses?

When I had a roommate, I opened a checking account with my roommate as a
joint owner. We decided which expenses would be paid from this account and
then each made contributions to that account equitably. For example, our
expenses were $1,200/month, I contributed 60%, my roommate contributed the
remainder. We also contributed an additional amount for a cushion to reduce
the risk of overdrafts to start-up the account.

That system worked well for us. I think that might be simpler than doing a
true-up periodically the way you've described, accounting for it would be
simpler. I think you would have to remember, however, that you only own an
x% interest in the account.