Roommate expenses?

Daniel Trezub daniel3ub at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 20:39:45 EDT 2009

Hi, people!

I was wondering what can be the best way to track roommate's expenses.

I share my apartment with a roommate, and we share the bills. The problem is
that we do not have a fixed way to pay the bills. Let's say that in one
particular month I pay the rent, the gas and the energy bills, and he pays
the phone, internet and the water bills. The other month I can pay the
water, energy and phone, and he pays the rent, gas and internet. The values
are then added together and divided by 2. If I pay more money in bills than
him this month, he gives me money. If he pays more in bills than me this
month, I give him money.

So, what is the best way to keep track of this kind of thing? I was thinking
about setting an Liability Account to do that, but I couldn't figure out a
right way.
Any ideas from the accounting guys out there? :)

Cheers, and thanks!

=====
Daniel
http://dantrez.deviantart.com