GnuCash data migration Windows <> Linux

rshuey@rgv rshuey at rgv.rr.com
Mon Aug 31 07:52:58 EDT 2009

Am learning GnuCash.  Can GnuCash data be migrated easily between
Windows and Linux?

Current accounting is a simple General Ledger program run on Windows,
with data kept on a Linux Samba server.  Looking for a replacement; the
Win GL program is no longer supported.

To explore GnuCash I have loaded
..GnuCash 2.3.5 on a WinXPpro machine
..GnuCash 2.2.9 on a Fedora 11 machine

I track several similar companies, so one task is to replicate the same
starting chart of accounts.  I have learned to do this by copy and
rename of two files
..in Windows
....\ProgramFiles\gnucash\bin\MyGCdata
....\Documents and Settings\....\.gnucash\books\MyGCdata
..in Linux
....$HOME/MyGCdata
....$HOME/.gnucash/books/MyGCdata

Contrary to what I have found by search of this forum and by the GC
tutorial and help, copy of the first file alone seems insufficient; the
hidden 'books' file is also needed.

My question relates to migrating data between Windows and Linux.  To use
GnuCash operationally I could either
..run a GnuCash on several Windows machines, with data centrally served
by Linux Samba
..run GnuCash centrally on Linux, accessing by VNC-viewer from the
Windows machines.

While I learn GnuCash, develop the chart of accounts, and settle on the
best operational scheme, I want to migrate the same data back and forth
between Windows and Linux.

I have not been able to either
.."Save As" from Windows GnuCash to the Linux Samba server and open with
Linux GnuCash
..copy the Windows ....\bin\MyGCdata and ....\books\MyGCdata to the
Linux $HOME locations and then open with Linux GnuCash

(I need a better understanding of where GnuCash keeps its data for two
other operational reasons
..to be sure i get all the when I backup; presently by nightly mirror to
an offsite sister Linux server
..to occassionally put all the data on the laptop (dual boot
WinXPpro/Fedora7) for when I travel; I keep a tight firewall on the
Linux server here)

Finally, this is my first thrash at posting in this type forum (vice the
VBulletin type).  Pls excuse any etiquite errors.