Find duplicate transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 3 12:22:20 EST 2009

Hi,

Ken <kmailuk at googlemail.com> writes:

> Instead of Bank A and Bank B, I should have written Account A and
> Account B as they are both at the same bank.  Further, when I download
> the OFX file from my bank both accounts are in the same file.  When I
> import the OFX into GnuCash, it creates:
> (1) in Account A, a transaction for "Transfer from Account B"
> (2) in Account B, a transaction for "Transfer to Account A"
>
> This causes duplicate transactions and there does not seem to be an
> easy way to get GnuCash to match these duplicates.  I suppose one
> option might be to download each account separately in QIF format.

It sounds like you are not setting the correct "transfer" account during
the import process.  When you're on the transaction page you need to go
through every transaction and configure the correct 'other' account that
the transaction goes to.  That will keep it from going into "Imbalance"
and should also let the importer notice that it's a duplicate.

So in Account A, the "Transfer from Account B", you should set the
transfer account to Account B.  And in Account B, you should set the
"Transfer to Account A" transfer account to Account A.

> Anyway, I think I will simply download the accounts separately for now.

This is probably a good idea regardless.  Unlike the QIF Importer, the
OFX importer does not do a good job of internal duplicate detection.