Partnership

Jason Dunham jwdunham at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 14:53:04 EST 2009

I am using GnuCash 2.2.9 for a partnership (co-ownership of real estate).
 For the most part, it is going fine, and I really like GC.

Sometimes the partners have to kick in money (repairs, mortgage), and
sometimes they get money back (rents, reimbursements).

I am treating each partner as a customer, and trying to use invoicing and
accounts receivable to track how much each partner owes.  I am currently
using a separate accounts receivable sub-account for each partner.

I can issue charges on an invoice and receive payments, and it shows up on
the customer report, which is pretty nice, but it doesn't do everything.

   - I can't issue a credit because I can't seem to invoice for a negative
   amount.  Don't normal businesses issue credits all the time?
   - I can perform transfers to the accounts receivable account, but they
   don't show up on the customer report.  It would be great to be able to
   associate arbitrary transactions with customers so they would show up on the
   customer report.   Right now I have to double-check that the customer
   reports' balances due match accounts receivable balances because its very
   easy to get them out of agreement.
   - The customer report isn't totally useful because there is no balance
   forward feature.  What I really want is just a nice report on accounts
   receivable, filtered by customer, for the current accounting period.  I want
   to tell each partner how much they owe or are due back with a regularly
   generated report.

Any ideas or assistance will be appreciated.

Jason