benefits of webkit

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Dec 7 16:54:33 EST 2009

Yes, the benefits will be in reporting.  Reports are created as HTML which are then displayed through an internal browser.  2.2.X uses an older browser which has not kept up with modern web features (most notable, CSS which can be used to control fonts, colors and placement).  Webkit is the html display engine used on Macs in Safari, and on Windows in Google Chrome.  Using webkit, for example, it is (or will be) possible to have reports look much more professional.  There is still some work needed for reports, but you can get some idea by opening a report, opening the report options, then changing the style sheet.  You can create and edit a style sheet (under Edit -> Stylesheets) by creating a new one (e.g. called Peter Reports) using "Default-CSS" as the base.  When you edit the style sheet, you can set fonts for different parts of the report.  Now, change the style sheet in your report options to "Peter Reports" and click OK.  Your report should change
 to match your fonts, and when you print it, it should also match those fonts.  Note that there is a bug on Windows that the report font when printing is *really* small.

Phil