benefits of webkit

Peter vmail at mycircuit.org
Tue Dec 8 03:57:48 EST 2009

Phil Longstaff wrote:
> Yes, the benefits will be in reporting.  Reports are created as HTML
> which are then displayed through an internal browser.  2.2.X uses an
> older browser which has not kept up with modern web features (most
> notable, CSS which can be used to control fonts, colors and
> placement).  Webkit is the html display engine used on Macs in Safari,
> and on Windows in Google Chrome.  Using webkit, for example, it is (or
> will be) possible to have reports look much more professional.  There
> is still some work needed for reports, but you can get some idea by
> opening a report, opening the report options, then changing the style
> sheet.  You can create and edit a style sheet (under Edit ->
> Stylesheets) by creating a new one (e.g. called Peter Reports) using
> "Default-CSS" as the base.  When you edit the style sheet, you can set
> fonts for different parts of the report.  Now, change the style sheet
> in your report options to "Peter Reports" and click OK.  Your report
> should change to match your fonts, and when you print it, it should
> also match those fonts.

> Note that there is a bug on Windows that the report font when printing
> is *really* small.

But who uses this buggy thing anymore (:-
> Phil

> **
thanks a lot, thats great , I use , by the way the wkhtmltopdf
<http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/> tool to create pdf from html and
this works really very well ( including css ) and  it would therefore be
easy to allow for pdf creation of gnucash reports.
Peter