double entry?

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Tue Dec 8 17:56:27 EST 2009

BGP had this to say:
> How can I change GC so that while I'm in an account register I don't
> have to enter the amount of a purchase in 2 of the accounts listed in a
> split?

Totals for each side of a double entry transaction *must* match. You can
not change that.

What you *might* do is ... not choose one of the accounts in a split.
That is, if you have a split transaction that comprises 2 accounts, if
you only choose the first account, the remaining difference is assigned
to the "Imbalance" account.

That will make the transaction balance. Double entry transactions
*always* balance, one way or the other.